Saturday, April 4, 2009

The parable of the missing pendant

When each of my sons were born, and while recovering in the hospital, I was given a piece of jewelry from my mother in law. This made me feel so special in a time of exhaustion and especially a time I didn’t feel so pretty. With Josh’s birth I received a beautiful antique diamond necklace and with Caleb a filigree diamond ring. I loved to wear these treasures and knew that someday when my boys had their first child, I would pass along each treasure to their future wives.
In the process of the move to Switzerland a year previously, the diamond necklace didn’t make it. I don’t know if it was in the box of jewelry that didn’t make it overseas or if it somehow got left in the hotel room in Ireland I was staying at before arriving in Zurich. About once a week, the thought nags at me even now and I ponder where it could be. I have been through all my possessions in my house and still cannot find it. I have made phone calls and sent emails. I tell myself it shouldn’t be so important, after all, it is just an earthly possession, but I cannot let it go from my mind.
My anti-Mormon mother-in-law was rarely pleased with me, yet she entrusted me with it. It was the most valuable piece of jewelry I ever owned. I wore it for job interviews, my first date in Europe and my graduation in Milwaukee. My mother in law has long passed on, but I have such a feeling of tenderness whenever I wear her gifts. I know that she is pleased with me now; except with her necklace gone there seems to be an emptiness that nothing can replace.
The loss has made me ponder: what does this necklace represent to me and why is it so important? I think of the parable of the missing silver piece, (Luke 15: 8-10) how the woman searched her house until it was found. I suppose this missing treasure could represent a person, like the lost sheep, or perhaps something less tangible, like a message or feeling God wants us to understand, or maybe like the parable of the talents, it is a gift from God that is waiting for me to reclaim it. I believe it could also represent a responsibility that God means for me to fulfill or a heavenly quality or blessing that He wants me to possess.
Moral Inventory

I did not know that my necklace was missing until weeks later when I wanted to wear it. Likewise, the woman in the parable did not know she had one silver piece missing until she counted the money. When I worked at a fabric store we spent a week every year where we would count every item in the store to see what the store had. This was a long, sometimes tedious process that required a lot of paperwork, but it was necessary to ensure that the store was profitable and not losing money due to theft or mismanagement.

When I was first married, my husband led us in what he called companionship inventories. I never served a mission, but apparently this is something that you do to help each other work better as a team. In our case we had a meeting weekly to set goals and together, monitor progress and discuss ways to strengthen our bond as husband and wife. Unfortunately as those habits died, he slipped out of church and our marriage covenant.
In later years I learned about other kinds of Inventories that are similarly useful. When I became a teacher, I learned that it is important to reflect on one’s effectiveness and keep careful records for each child in order to improve. I also attended a 12 step program and found one important part is to make a searching moral inventory of yourself and all your faults and weaknesses so that you know what to build from and also to continue this process. I found in my life that my problems would get worse without an honest analysis of my soul. Also part of an inventory is gratitude—counting blessings is the best thing to keep track ofJ
I know that when I make time to keep such inventories in my life, whether it be in the spiritual or worldly dimension, I have the strength and light that I need to do a better job in my dual roles as mother and provider to my two sons. If a problem is not identified, then I become stagnant and unhappy because my progress is blocked. It is like trying to satisfy thirstiness with more food. I can see that unless I ponder and reflect upon what is amiss in my life, I am neither able to identify the problem nor resolve it.

Inviting the spirit
Upon realizing the loss, the first thing the woman in the parable did was light a candle so that she could search her house. It is interesting to note that she had light to guide her in finding what was missing. I can see a parallel to this method of finding things that are missing which my spirit needs. The light represents enlightenment and knowledge found from a heavenly source. Lighting a candle could be synonymous with prayer, meditation, fasting, or reading the scriptures because it is by doing these things that we receive information beyond our own selves. When I lost my necklace, I knew I needed to call the hotel and see if they had it, I also needed light as I searched through every drawer, compartment and cabinet in my house. And as foolish as it may sound to some, I did pray about it.
I am not able to find these spiritual treasures alone. Heavenly Father wants me to work with him as a partner so that I may reclaim the blessings that become mine when I faithfully seek His will. When I seek to light this Heavenly flame by developing a relationship with the Savior, I am blessed with His spirit to guide me whenever the way is unsure and am strengthened in times of discouragement. I have discovered that my most challenging tribulations were exacerbated by not dealing with my emotions or stress in a way that is conducive to the spirit.


Sweeping the house

Just like the thought nagged at me for months to call the hotel to check, I am equally unhappy when I sense something amiss and do nothing to identify and act upon the problem. The next step is cleansing. When I first looked for the necklace, I got things out, but did not put them back in their place, leaving me even more frustrated when the day ended with more disorder than it started with. That was not a long-term solution; I remained unsure that I had checked everything, so I went through the same areas again. When I started my search anew on another day, I realized that I had to clean as I go. Likewise, when I go through my difficulties and mistakes, faults and weaknesses with the Lord, I should try to deal with each issue individually, rather than compound things further. When I saw that a certain area was organized and clean, I knew when I double-checked that I didn’t need to disturb it again in my search.
Speaking of losses, I am reminded of a couple of other scripture sayings, one being he who loses himself shall find it. I personally have been able to fill the void I feel in my life by helping others around me. As a single mom, I don't have much, but when I give my little mite, I have more than enough in my life. I have found that the greatest solutions have come to me when I am really immersed in the needs and interests of another. This is part of God’s plan: that we learn from each other some of the most important truths we may carry with us.
Another part of the Journey is learning when to let go. I have been guilty of holding onto things that are not worth anything, such as thwarted hopes and dreams, disappointment, rejection, loss, and advice from well-meaning people that doesn’t apply to my situation. I have found greater treasure by letting go of grudges and bitterness and rejoicing in the blessings the Lord has given me. I have found that only after clearing out the clutter of negativity and pride does it become possible to find the real treasures that lurk within life’s experiences.

Finding the lost treasure
I wish I could say that I found the pendant after my search, but a year later I have something far more valuable—I discovered a way to find and keep heavenly treasure. The last thing the woman did was celebrate with her friends. This step I believe is very important. This can be done in many ways, such as sharing experiences with friends, recording growth in journals, bearing testimonies of personally learned truths, and allowing my children to share in these fruits. I have found that “celebrating” allows others to experience this elation and perhaps empower them to begin their own search for such valuable treasures.
The parable ends with a reminder that there is joy in heaven over one sinner that repents. Likewise I believe there is great joy when one is able to overcome even the smallest bad habit and replace it with something of more divine worth. These experiences in life are designed as a guide to finding eternal blessings—but I can only find such treasure if I am grateful for what I have, make an exhaustive spiritual search for what is found lacking and allow the Savior’s words to become an active part of daily living. In the end, one joyful example is like a flame, beckoning others to seek for the Spirit in their personal lives.
I am grateful for the challenges I have faced because I have found new talents, strength and love from above as I have sought the Lord’s help in finding the treasures that are missing in my life. I have felt Jesus Christ wipe my painful tears and give me strength to go forward. I know that happiness does not come from earthly gifts, like having extra money, good friends, well-mannered children, or even silky Swiss chocolate. Happiness is a gift from God when we choose to give our will to Him. To me, this is more valuable and beautifying than a million diamond necklaces.

sidenote: so I did find the necklace 18 months later, right when the Lord felt I was ready to apply these lessons in my life. Even though I have a lot of nice jewelry, I rarely take it off after I put it on, just as I try not to remain in foggy confusion when I sense that something is missing is my life.
--Liza Zmolek wRight

No comments:

Post a Comment