Saturday, April 4, 2009

Parable of the ungrateful date

I used to date a wonderful man whom I will call "Geoffrey". I was so in love with him that I overlooked some major differences and difficulties in the relationship, but eventually he broke things off. Geoffrey did not have much money because he was in the midst of some career changes. One day I decided to take him out for dinner to smooth things over after the breakup. I happened to have a gift card and bonus coupons that covered everything but the tip. When I was fumbling for the cards to pay for the bill and the tip, someone called his cell phone. He talked for five minutes and then told her he would call her back in 20 minutes. Geoffrey did not offer to help with the tip with his card and did not even say thank you for the meal. On top of that he rushed me out the door because he said he promised to call this woman back soon. the drive home was quietly as he worried about returning this phone call more than my feelings.
It really bothered me to receive this treatment. Then the next morning, he sent a text that read: sorry I 4got 2 thnk u for dinner last night. I wanted to text him back with the message that I wanted to take back all the gifts that I had given him….but then my friend told me to wait to send something back until I could respond with pleasantness
The next day at church it was on my mind. And then as I sat, seething in what I thought to be righteous indignation, I thought of the ten lepers and how 10 asked to be healed, but only one said thank you. I thought about all the things that the Lord has done for me. How many times have I truly thanked him? How many times I have I made the journey back to acknowledge his work. How many times have I acknowledged him to other people? How many more times have I treated Heaven's providence like my friend, hurrying out the door right after the gift is bestowed.
On top of that, I think of how many people in my life have helped me. How many times have people gone out of their way for me, and I haven't sent a thank you letter, or done much for them in return? How many times am I like Geoffrey, tossing in rushed words of appreciation after the fact, but moving forward with my plans, rather than pausing for a word of appreciation?
I am amazed that the Savior did not seem particularly angry about the other 9 who did not return with thankful words. He merely asked where they were. I would hope that those 9 were able to show their thanks in other ways. I am grateful that the Lord doesn’t reject me when I am late in expressing my gratitude. And I am amazed to find that when I acknowledge His hand in my life, I seem to find myself blessed even more!
As I think of my many blessings, those from heaven and those from other fellow mortals on earth, I thank the Lord for His grace and patience through the many times I have treated Him too casually and taken His goodness for granted. I really hope in the future I can be more like the one leper who returned, than the 9 who didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment